Sunday, June 13, 2010

Look What Followed Me Home


I am now the proud owner of a bike that's been on my wish list for some time - a 1987 Honda Super Magna.

She has just under 7500 miles, and is in real nice condition for a 23 year old bike. I worked with a local restorer to get this bike - he has done the mechanical work necessary to get her up and running so it's now in great mechanical condition. She needs a bit of prettying up, but looks great as is. Everything is there, and stock.


I love the 80's power cruisers, such as the Magnas, VMax and Eliminator, and the Super Magna is special since this particular design was only made for two years - 1987 and 1988.

Here are some specifications on this bike:

In 1987, the US model's 700 cc engine produced 80 bhp (60 kW) @ 9500 rpm, with torque being 46 ft lbs (62 N·m) @ 7500 rpm

Wet weight: 529lbs
Engine: dohc 4-valve 90-degree V-four
Displacement: 700cc
Transmission: 6-speed
Seat height: 27.8 in.
Final Drive: Shaft
Cooling: Liquid
Brakes: Single Disc-Front, Drum-Back

11 comments:

Mike said...

Congratulations Lance! I like the look of the bike with the shape of the gas tank and how the seat looks far back over the rear tire. It has very appealing lines!

Geoff James said...

Congratulations also lance, someone seems to have really cared for it. Tell me... with family stuff, guitars and the Triumph all taking time, are you going to ride it or will it be a lounge ornament ? ;-)

Lance said...

Thanks Mike - that's what attracted me to this bike as well, she's a stunner!

Geoff, I've been riding this bike a bit this weekend, and it is very different than the Triumph, which actually is good. I guess I just need more riding time!

Troubadour said...

That is so coincidental, I owned two '84 Magna V45s prior to the Triumph America. I still hold a spot for the Honda V4, a very nice motor and very competent bike. Great find, congrats!

Jack Riepe said...

Dear Lance:

Your new machine is a real looker... I had no idea you were into collecting. One of the greatest challenges of owning an older bike is finding parts, and in some cases, tires. Are parts for this bike easy to comer by? And send us more pictures, especially of this machine and your Triump side by side.

Fondest regards,
Jack • reep • Toad
Twisted Roads

Chuck Pefley said...

Congratulations, Lance! Nice to have riding choices, isn't it? Now let's hope our weather cooperates!

Triumph-ant said...

Hey Lance, you still around? I always enjoyed visiting your blog and haven't seen any updated since June '10.
Hope you and yours are well.

Baron's Life said...

Congratulations Lance...This Magna looks great for a 23 yrs old machine. Ride it safely. I bet it handles different from the Triumph

oldchigger said...

OMG Lance! How's it feel to check that one off your Bike Bucket List? It's gotta be great! Thats one SUPER looking ride dude! I'm working on my Bike Bucket List and should have it up on the blog soon. Way to go!
Chigger

WarHorse said...

Cool bike - identical to mine...same color (Candy Wave Blue), everything. I just got it about 2 months ago, and I've been working to put finishing-touches on it. It has more miles - coming-up on 40K. Everything is completely original and still runs beautifully.

Greg Prosmushkin said...

Thanks for sharing the great news about your purchase. It's always great when you get to have one of your bikes from your wish list. Great seeing the photo. Have a wonderful rest of your day.
Greg Prosmushkin